Sunday, January 7, 2018

Put a Wreath On The Door

So here it is January 7 and my Christmas tree is still up. I've been looking at it and thinking, and I just decided to keep it up a while longer. For years I used to keep the tree up until Epiphany, January 6. That was tradition and I think I’ll revive it. Epiphany, for anyone who may not be familiar with it is the day to commemorate the visit to the Christ Child by the wise men from the East. It's the last official calendar day for Christmas holy days.
Looking at my tree, I also hesitated to take it down because of its presence. What else can I use to fill up that space where the twinkling colorful lit grandeur of my tree was? And it is a three-dimensional scrapbook, with mementos and dated ornaments galore.
So what to do? Is there still a reason to be festive, celebrate and be merry? I sure hope so. It can’t just end with the last piece of décor being packed away. So I will FIND reasons to celebrate, some that aren’t dependent on a calendar or a season. There may be no more tree, but I will hang a wreath on my door and celebrate!
P.S. I'm leaning toward a rag wreath. I have an old wreath form, fabric scraps are easy to come by and I am sure I can find a way to add some meaning and significance to each scrap - sort of like a quilt!
Here's a link with directions on how to make a rag wreath: Rag Wreath How-To

No comments:

Post a Comment